Saturday, February 6, 2016

Flower Soap And Shampoo Bars

TADA!  My soap is out of the molds. They now will sit and finish cure time for the next 4-6 weeks.  I should be able to use the first one by the middle of March.


I got impatient last Tuesday and checked on my soap by taking one out of the mold a little early... wasn't quite ready but it survived.  The rest were removed on Thursday and came out clean. Yay! 

  
Today, I made Shampoo bars.  The recipe had a lot more ingredients but the process was about the same.  I just needed to do more prep work to get the ingredients measured out at the right temperatures before mixing the oils with the lye solution.   



I read online that one woman used the Red Solo cups to mix the water and lye.  She said it was easier cause she could just throw it out when finished.  My "gold" cup held up with no leaks but here's a picture to show how caustic it is!  Gloves and goggles are important...


The scents used for the Shampoo Bars was Lemongrass and Bergamot.  I didn't have enough Bergamot so I supplemented with a bit of Lime and Lemon.


I tried out my other molds.  I filled 6 small squares and 5 bigger bars.


I'll be able to take these bars out Tuesday since it has less olive oil in it so it will harden up faster.  But, I'll have to let them cure for 6-8 weeks...


 Tomorrow, I hope to make lotion!

5 comments:

  1. I really want to see how you like the shampoo bars. I had no idea soap needs to cure, thanks for the diy lessons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to see how you like the shampoo bars. I had no idea soap needs to cure, thanks for the diy lessons. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can send you one of my smaller squares when they are ready if you want to try it out with me! Message me your address. :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I think that is what took me so long to try it out... The chemistry of lye scared me. Miss you, Julie!!!

      Delete